Language and Platforms
To work on a constant changing programming mode is highly challenging for web developers. But this is the same challenge that gives them the opportunity to become a part of trending technological culture. For each programming language, there is always one sole purpose “to serve”. A lot of programming tools are being introduced regularly but to make it actual preference, it definitely needs time and detailed user reviews. Which platform should not be used is always a big question as all of them gives different flavors for performing the same natured-task. Now, we will be delving you deeply to dig out the most suitable answer to that question. So, here you go:
Platforms and programming languages
- Java (language) is a concurrent general-purpose programming language that is class bases or used for object-oriented programming and specially designed for few implementations
- PHP (language) is also known as Hyper-Text Preprocessor that is a scripting language that can be used as the combination of various web content management system and other web frameworks. It is mainly used for web development and general-purpose programming.
- HTML5 (language) Is a markup language that serves the purpose presenting and structuring content on the global web.
- Python (language) is an interpreted high-level, general-purpose programming language that allows the programmer to execute their task with precise code.
- Scala (language) is a limited-purpose programming language that supports both functional programming and a strong static type system with executable codes on JVM.
- CSS 3 (language)is the latest version of Cascading Style Sheets language which brought a lot of newness in styling visually engaging web pages, user interfaces for both web and mobile applications. Novelties include animations, transitions, shadows, rounded corners, gradients, multi-columns layout, flexible-box, and grid layouts etc.
- SQL (language)is RDBMS (Relational Database management system) domain specific language that runs queries for fetching relational records and data.
- Go-programming (language) It is statically compiled language that in the tradition of Algol and C with their garbage collection and limited structure is used for memory safety features.
- Elixir (language) is a dynamic, functional language that leverages the Erlang VM and well-known for web development and the embedded software domain.
- Ruby on Rails (platform) is web application platform that serves server side.
- Rust (platform) is classical survival video game with multi-player support for Windows, OS X, and Linux support.
Coming towards, the best approach that must be followed for one straight programming task to be achieved has a list of options available. Client-side development as growing always needs room for flexible changes, for that it is reported that almost 9-million developers prefer JAVA – an object-oriented programming that can be run on any of Java virtual machine regardless of system architecture. This language remained very popular till 2016 until it got criticism on its privacy concerns. This, also includes its code reusability problems, Operator overloading and especially migration through classes issues.
Web Application Frameworks
As a web developer, you will always come across errors, bugs and changing requirements at the user end. Mirroring, the digital prevailing needs websites currently needs the minimum response time, high performance with less or no privacy intrusion. This does not end, even each of web-application developed serves a completely different purpose. They are either, business-oriented, learning or general purpose websites with limited exposure. All these applications, depending upon their nature of audience needs to be developed on such a platform that it is flexible enough for future accommodations.
So, while choosing the best platform your website should have to need a complete comparison of it with all related platform in order to serve your main purpose of development.
- Ruby: An open source software that includes everything required to develop web applications alongside learning it.
- AngularJS: it provides the expansion of HTML vocabulary for your web applications and also provides the tool that is most suitable for your web development.
- ASP.net: An open-source web framework that lets you develop modern web applications.
- CakePHP: A faster and easy modern PHP framework that requires fewer codes for developing web applications.
- React-JS Allows creating large web-applications with extended user requirements with high speed, scalability, and simplicity.
- Meteor Framework uses the same code for desktop, Android or IOS application development. It is flexible enough to accommodate new features with the app store approval or engaging users to perform unnecessary native applications.
- Django Is an open source free web framework, follow MVC approach (Model, View, Controller) with Model-view-template in the architectural plan.
- NET Is free open-source application framework at server-side to produce dynamic web pages. It allows programmers to build dynamic websites, web services, and applications.
- LaravelIs open-source free PHP web framework for web applications. It follows a model-view-controller architecture pattern.
- Zend Framework (ZF) is a free open source, an object-oriented programming framework for several web panels. It implements in PHP and serves sorely for professional PHP based packages.
- Phalcon is a high-performance web framework with the advance systematic approach for Model-View-Controller patterns.
- Symfony is a web application framework that uses reusable PHP components are libraries.
- FlaskIs a limited scope web framework in Python and based on Jinja2 and Wekzeug toolkit.
- Code Igniter Is free open source rapid web development framework that is used for developing dynamic websites with PHP.
Node.js and Express.js, when used together, give the perfect choice for application development that involves communication with third-party resources and monitoring the visitor behavior.ASP.net, on the other hand, gives developers variety of options for drag and drop, properties for control and Grid controlling facilities. It, is a good option as the structure development is abstracted and generally does not require to know inner working and processes between working threads. But, contrary to this little control to developers set many issues unsolved at user-end.
Phalcon is super-fast and widely used web-development framework that has limited scope. It is in fact, the best option for developing concise and small scope application. So, it does not involve an option for more open web application development it not preferable options for current complex user requirements so as Flask. Comparing, the recent platform Code Igniter with Zend Framework, ranking from professional developers shows code igniter at number 8th while Zend Framework on number 17th. This huge difference is quite obvious due to Code igniter quick and easy to learn approach. You can directly download it all latest versions from GitHub with a lot of user community support.
- jQuery It is a cross-platform JS library specifically designed to simplify the scripting of HTML at the client side. It is open and free source well detailed designed software for Cross-Platform tasks.
- BackBone JS: JS library with RestFul JSON interface and primarily for the model-view-presentation pyramid of applications.
- jQuery UI : It is a classified collection of Graphic user interface animated widgets, themes, widgets implemented with jQuery, HTML, and CSS(cascading style sheets).
- jQuery Mobile: It is a jQuery library and highly responsive in nature.
- Undersccore.js Is a JS library that facilitates developers with utility functions for all programming tasks.
- Moment js This library allows applications to auto format dates for different locales. It is featured date library that is used for validating and formatting dates.
Lodash is JS library that provides utility functions for a common and functional paradigm of programming.
Task Runners / Package Managers
- Grunt is a JS task runner that frequently complies, lining and unit testing itself. It is common to well-defined task file.
- Gulp.js: It is an open-source JS toolkit that is open source and used as streaming build front-end development systems.
- Npm It JS package manager for JS. It is basically a default package of JS runtime environment.
- Bower Front-end package management solution with a package that depends on model via an API.
- Web-pack Free, open –source JS module that generates static assets that can represent modules with dependencies.
In the web development world there lies 2 ideas for websites one is back-end development that majorly covers the hidden complexities and core functional handling and the other one is front-end development. Everything user sees included in it. So, which framework to be chosen for front-end is a question as it includes both reviews of designers and the developers. This is because the type of front-end later works with back-end programming. Some of the latest frameworks are listed below:
- Bootstrap is a front-end open source free framework that is allowed to build web-framework with all classical designing templates.
- Foundation is known for its responsiveness that provides HTML and CSS responsiveness grid. It gives user interface components, code snippets including all form of buttons, including typography and advance navigations.
- Semantic UI Is basically a packaged gulp with built tools so your project can preserve its own changes in themes.
- UiKit framework provides infrastructure for both IOS and tvOS applications. It offers both view and windows architecture.
For, back-end programming we have plenty of frameworks available. But in the case of front-end, there are limited frameworks available. Bootstrap is one of the undisputed leaders as this framework allows users to develop attractive building websites with latest designing plugins involve. So, this tool is among one of the favorite front-end frameworks as it is a wonderful kit and flexible enough for more advancements in the future. Foundation, on the other hand, is a second biggest player in comparison and widely used by huge networks like eBay, National Geographic, and Mozilla. For both IOS and tvOS development, the most widely known platform for front-development is Semantic UI and UIKit but do have limitations when used for complex designing and development.
development.CSS is incomplete and primitive when it comes to reusability and complex functioning. For bigger projects, when there come maintenance issues CSS pre-processors serve as helping hand that solves evolving issues, vendor version problems and increase reusability with little or no code repetition. It allows advanced CSS implementations and is being widely used for bigger and complex projects. Some, of the CSS pre-processors, are listed below:
- Sass is CSS pre-processors which is completely compatible with all versions of CSS.
- Less is style sheet language that can be compiled into Cascading Stylesheets in-order to run it on client or server side.
- Stylus is limited use CSS pre-processor that can be used for shaping and minor styling.
In comparison, the most widely used is Sass as it is compatible with all versions of CSS. On the other hand, Less and Stylus are not widely used due to their limited operation performing abilities.
Just like platform, development kits and type of environment to be chosen, developers are concerned about the compiler as well. It is because Compiler is the actual core software that shows the results of coding any programmed code. It transforms computer code into computer understandable language to generate outputs. Here, are some of the widely used Compilers for Saas, CoffeeScript, and CSS.
- Code Kit is an application that helps to build application faster. It compiles including Cofee Script, Stylus, Less, and Saas.
- Koala is graphic user interface compiler for pre-processing languages like Less, Coffee Script, and SaaS. It automatically compiles file changes while running in the background.
- Hammer: It allows quick compilation without lowering the system speed.
- LiveReload: This compiler is designed to oversee file changes without having to refresh the browser.
- Prepros: Compiles almost ever Pre-processing languages including CSS next, Jade/Pug, Slim, and Coffee Script.
- Scout: is a compiling language for Sass
- Crunch: this compiler allows developers to write less of code and automatically saves CSS, and HTML including changes one made.
Koala offers many standard features for file monitoring, error notification, and auto-compilation. It also allows friendly sharing of files with other networks. On the other hand, crunch may run on cross platforms but is supports less syntax. For this, reason this is not a widely used Compiler.
Icons covers front-end development. Tasks, wither major or minor are being executed against their clicks. Some, of the Icons, includes:
- Font Awesome Is toolkit that covers CSS and LESS. It is mainly used with Twitter Bootstrap.
- IconMonster: It is unique, uniform icons with large variations in designs.
- Icons8: is a font generator with Editable vector and embedded HTML.
- IconFinder: Includes a wide variet of beautifully designed icons.
- NounProject: Provides over a million icons with endless customization.
- Fontello: is a tool that covers web fonts. It built everything including graphics for web pages and works for a large collection of open source artworks.
The most widely used icons by the developers belong to Fontello group as this has a large collection of icons with advanced graphics. On, the other hand Font-Awesome and IconMonster are still working with their limitations.
Databases are the major part of every web or android application because it stores a large number of records and acts as an application storage. Choosing, which Database should be used depends upon the type of application being developed. On, being at the honest side in terms of storage applications have very limited choices. Here, is the list of few databases currently being used.
- MySQL It is the most comprehensive set of advanced management tools that offer technical support to data with maximum scalability, uptime, reliability, and security.
- MariaDB Is a community-developed MySQl fork for establishing database management system.
- MongoDB Is an open-source free platform that covers the document-oriented database program. It is classified as no-SQl database program that uses JSON like documents with schemas.
- Redis Is an open source, in memory structure store used as a database cache. It supports data form such as strings, lists, hashes and radius queries.
- Postgre SQL often simplifies the object-relational database management system that majorly focuses on standard compliance and standards.
Reviews for developer forum counts MySQL to be the easiest to handle shell for large abundance of data. It fulfills a maximum need with all major and minor needs for data-storage. It allows easy fetching and distribution of data. It covers almost everything that other database setups are offering like MariaDB, MongoDB, Redis. SQL-lite is a database which is facilitating android and IOS developers.
Text Editors / Code Editors
Text Editors are widely used to write, edit texts. Initially, editors were used for limited platforms and only served for fewer platforms. This category explains the few most widely known platforms for editing texts.
- Atom: is free and open source free editor for macros Windows and Linux. It offers complete support for plugins like Git Control and Node.js.
- Notepad++ is a text editor used with Microsoft Windows. It allows editing and opening multiple files in the single window. Notepad++
- Sublime Text: A refined text editor for code, markup and prose along with remarkable performance.
- Visual Studio Code Is open source and optimized for building modern web and cloud applications. It is free and available for all platform like Linux, OSX, and windows.
- Text Mate: is general-purpose text editor for Max OS X with declarative customizations, recordable macros folding sections and snippets.
- Coda 2: A quick, secure, smooth and a powerful text editor providing a pixel-perfect preview.
- Dreamweaver: It provides a faster and easy way to design, code and publish different websites to make them able to adjust on any screen size.
- Vim: is a clone editor program for Unix.
- Emacs: offers extensible, customizable and real-time display editor characterized by its extensibility.
- SpaceMacs: This text-editor can perform both in Emacs as well as in Vim mode.
Atom is free but not as famous as the Notepad++ is. This is because Notepad++ offers a wide range of more advanced features that are not available on any other platforms. Visual Studio, on the other hand, is more advanced in terms of intelligence code, snippets, and refactoring of code. Emacs, Brackets, Vim are also well-known editors but are not widely used as Notepad++ and Visual Studio because of their limited functionality.
Markdown editor is a lightweight platform. It is used to create rich content with advance implementations of text. It includes editable text, readme files, and plain text. In the initial description, Markdown editor was having limited scope as it has now. Listed below are the some of the editors that are currently in use.
- Stack Edit’s: It is refined text formatting editor that visualize the final rendering of files.
- Dillinger Is an online cloud-based HTML5 Markdown editing platform.
- Mou Is a lightweight tool for writing and it replaces text with simple grammar.
- Texts: Is a type of program that is used for editing plain text files.
- Diff Checker is an online tool that compares different types of text files. It checks for two files in order to find the difference.
- Beyond Compare Is data comparison limited utility. It not only compares files but also capable of comparing various file directories.
Stack Edit is one of the globally used software with 53% vote globally. The major drawback found in Stack Edit is about its offline availability. On the other hand, no doubt, Dillinger is faster to edit, helps in learning HTML and is more marketable but is not so popular as it is for steeper curves and used by professionals. Mou is Pro Advance text editing, a hybrid interface but has issues when it comes to its maintainability. Another, drawback it has is its free release that is only available until its 1.0 release. Beyond compare and Diff checker are not much widely used software as it has limited functionality.
Web servers are actually the computers that serve up web pages for its users. The top-ranked web servers include:
- Apache HTTP Server: Apache is the world’s most popular and a free cross-platform that provides a secure, effective and extendible server to modern operating systems.
- Nginx: An open source web server that can be used as a reverse proxy, load balancer, mail proxy and HTTP cache.
- Internet Information Services (IIS): An extensible server designed by Microsoft that supports HTTP, HTTP/2, HTTPS, FTP, FTPS, SMTP and NNTP.
- Lighttpd: Lighttpd is an open source web server that provides the best solution for every server that is undergoing load problems. It is specially designed for high-performance environments.
Version Control Software
Version control is also known a revision control that is a repository of files. It is often related to source code programmed code that monitors access. Version control systems are an essential form of distributed collaborative data management that control integrated programs.
- The Concurrent Versions System (CVS): It is also known as Concurrent Versioning. It is free open source client-server revision to control system software.
- Apache: is software versioning and revision control distributed system.
- Git: is used for tracking changes in multiple computer files. It coordinates while working with multiple users.
- Mercurial: Is a distributed revision and version control tool for software developers.
- Bazaar: Is distributed and client-server single platform that facilities working with multiple users.
Git Clients / Services
Git is version control system and open source with tracking computer files and coordination and working with multiple clients on a single platform.
- Source tree: Is free Git desktop client for developers. It simplifies and beautifully design interface just like iOS.
- GitKraken: is cross-platform Git that works efficiently with complete reliability and elegance.
- Tower 2: Git client for Mac. This platform allows access to users who want to access their repositories with an intuitive graphical interface.
- GitHub Client: An open source platform, fully redesigned with the electron to extend your GitHub workflow.
- Gogs: It has less or minimum requirements, even run on Gogs instances, and run the binary platform.
- GitLab: it is version control systems used for tracking changes in multiple computers. It coordinates while working with multiple users.
Application Program Interface (API) tools:
API tools are essentially used for developing software applications. It helps the software applications to exchange data between each other.
- SoupUI: Globally, SoupUI is the most advanced REST & SOAP testing tool. It includes functional testing, performance testing, security testing, data driven testing, test reporting and mocking.
- Postman: In today’s world, developers use this to develop modern software. Postman is the complete API Development Environment that makes the API development quite easy. From designing to debugging, everything a developer needs can be found here. It is no doubt a paid license tool but its services are really fulfilling developers need. Exporting and importing tools, document sharing at global network is easy with Postman
- Katalon Studio: An emerging free test automation API, Web and mobile applications tool that supports both REST & SOAP. It is easy to use and contains a full feature set for testing.
- Zapier: It provides the automation facility by connecting API apps. It simply integrate, automate and innovate making the workflow easier.
- RunScope: It gives less downtime by testing and monitoring the performance and providing a solution.
Local Dev Environments
Most of the times developers prefer to run source code of various applications on their own local machines rather than running them on hosted servers. Working locally allows you to be quick and easy to manage. Remote servers not many make source code run slow but also interrupted internet makes server response more than the average time of execution. Mentioned below is the list of Local Dev environments.
- XAMPP is a free and open source platform that offers server solutions mainly consist of Apache HTTP and several interpreters.
- MAMP It is open source, a free solution used to run dynamic websites on IOS.
- WampServer Referred to Microsoft Windows operating system consist of Apache web server, MySQL, and PHP programming language.
- Vagrant: Is a free open-source product for building and maintaining portable virtual setups.
- Laragon: Is portable Dev environment that installs instances itself without updating previous versions.
The most widely used Local Dev Environment is WampServer that is mostly run on windows and has adaptive nature. It covers Apache, MySQL, and PHP that is easy to understand. MAMP, on the other hand, is same like WampServer is, but has a difference of platform on which it works. MAMP works on MAC. On the other hand, Vagrant and Laragon are still being used but also have limitations.
Diff checkers gives you the visual comparison between files in order to amalgamate the changes.
- Diff checker: An online diff tool for the text comparison.
- Beyond Compare: Lets you compare files and folders through simple, easy and powerful commands.
Code Sharing / Experimenting
- JS Bin: Tool that enables learning and using web technologies easy.
- Codeshare: Is an aviation with the sharing of data and technology easy.
- dabblet It is an interactive and iterative playground for long quick testing snippets with CSS and HTML code support.
While working in an organized team requires collaborating tools so they can interact with the team for executing their daily tasks. Listed below are the some of the widely used collaborating tools in small and large scale working platforms.
- Slack Is cloud-based setup with complete team collaborating services and tools.
- Trello: Is web-based management portal that is originally made by Fog Creek
- Glip Is real-time fully researchable platform for better task management and file sharing
- Asana is mobile and web application that is designed for helping teams and communities so they can track their work. It improves productivity.
- Jira: is the bug and issue tracking tool with project management functionalities.
- Redash: is collaborating tool that can be connected to any data source including Big Query, PostgreSQL, and many others. It takes queries, visualizes and share data.
- Zapier: Is an American corporation and web-service that allows users to integrate web applications they are using
- io Is an open source free online software used for making diagrams, process diagrams, UML and other use case models.
- One Messenger: is all in one messaging app that supports Face Messenger, Slack, WhatsApp and many other. It gives truly personalized the experience with complete customization.
- Bitbucket: Is a web-based version control hosting service. It is used for either Mercurial and used for both commercial plan and free accounts.
Inspiration revolves around meaningful concept and design project. Creational and conceptual ideas of development. Listed below are some inspirational communities:
- Dripple: Gives a wide range of designs via sharing platform, where designers can share their designs.
- Behance: An online community where users can display their creativeness through their work.
Website Speed Test Tools
Website Speed test tools are used to test web applications as well as web related interfaces. These tools bottleneck the problems and performance attributes in websites. Listed below are some of the tools that are used for speed check are as follows:
- Website Speed Test: Includes a breakdown waterfall preview of the website. Running speed test and easy sharing at website speed is available.
- Google Page Speed Insights tool that empowers the performance of a website. It supports all browsers including advances data visualization.
- DevTools: is debugging tool that provides deeper access to the internal structure of browser with their web application with complete traceability.
- Webpage Test: Is free and run website speed. It deals with complete detailed optimization recommendations.
- Doctom tools: It helps to test your website speed instantly in original browsers from 25 locations globally.
- Pingdom: Monitors website availability with no installation required.
GTmetrix Is free tool that checks for page performance. It auto-generates scores for pages to check for recommendations for fixing them.
Web Development Communities
Web development forums always prove a great helping hand for developers. It is one of the authentic sources that have frequent reviews for IT assistance. Some of the Web Development communities are listed below:
- Stack Overflow: Is flagship website developed for more open Q/A purposes regarding IT.
- Front-end front: Group of front-end developers and designers and people who are keen towards learning and developing new ideas.
- Hashnode: Forum of discussion compromise of most of the web developers across the world. The discussion is around the build nodes and advanced technologies
- Refind Web Development Tools Online, Programming guides, and Resource programming are included.
- Google+ Web Developers Group: Is a place for web developers, where people globally interact to present the best feasible solution for their coding and designing errors.
- Facebook WordPress Front-End Developers Group Space for WordPress front-end developers that are into sharing ideas, collaborate and trending discussions related to IT is all included in here.
- Linkedin Web Designs: a platform for discussion where experts are available for their advance solutions regarding trending web designs.
- Web Development Group (Linkedin) Is a diverse platform that gives insight into IT solutions and technical discussion.
- PHP Developer (Linkedin): is a platform for veterans in PHP technology that are committed to developing web application at a bigger level.
- LinkedIn WordPress Developers Group: Collection of almost 20,000 members for sharing ideas and contacts information.
- Web Devloper.com: is a space for expert web developers and designers for sharing application development ideas and themes.
- The SitePoint Forums Rewriting rules, Chrome and CSS, HTML and everything related to designing is discussed here.
- Perfmatters (Reddit) Is a Google platform that covers technical articles and necessary involve experts’ engagement in discussions.
- WebDev (Reddit) includes interesting ideas, commercial sites, and project that is partially build
Web Development Newsletters
Web development Newsletters are short and concise information that can help developers and programmer to stay updated with the latest happening in this domain. Listed below are some web development Newsletters that are being frequently visited.
- wdrl.info: is a weekly updated authentic resource for web developers
- webopsweekly.com is a weekly newsletter for tools, infrastructure, and back-end operations performance, especially launched for front-end developers.
- Fresh Brewed Is dedicated source for getting the latest news and best practices, tools, and techniques for development and design.
- Smashing Magazine Is a website and eBook published that offers a resource for web developers and designers.
- Front-end dev: is front-end development news portal that helps in getting interesting ideas regarding GUI development.
- Friday front-end: It is free and weekly updated front-end development newsletter.
- Dat Tips: is weekly videos, designed to bring ideas, innovations, opinions, and preferences of every individual web designer and developers.
Web Development Tools You Probably Aren’t Using
There are tools, probably that you might not be using. It may be because of their less exposure or limited online content availability. Listed below are the list of some tools that may have the little appearance but have significant enough to prove a better alternative for many applications in their respective domain.
- CSS-Guidelines– Advance guidelines for maintaining CSS
- Play Framework Ensures easy to build web applications with Scala and Java. It is lightweight and web-friendly architecture.
- Dimensions: Is a tool for designers that measure the screen dimensions.
- Apache Couch DB: It is free and an open source database that covers ease of use and scalable architecture
- Flynn: Is free and an open source platform for executing application directly from production source.
- BugMuncher Is website that allows users to get their issues resolved by sharing their errors and bugs from a website in a form of screenshots.
- Uptime Robot: is a free monitoring service that supports diverse array monitoring types including HTTP, port, and ping. It supports all major functionality.
- UiLang: is a simple language for programming. Coding involves simple English.
- Scala: is a general programming language that supports more functional programming for a static system.
- Haml: is a tempting system that is designed for flexible and dynamic content in HTML. It avoids inline coding in a web document.
- Coverse: implements Continuous delivery strategies and system design architecture.
- HumHub: is an open source free framework that delivers tools to make teamwork easy and successful.
- Mpulse: includes services related to Website Design and Development with the corporate promotional material.
- Google Duo is a video chatting mobile app for both iOs and Windows.
- Monit: is a free open source supervision tool for both Unix and Linux. Its status can be viewed from both windows and native HTTP web server.
- Cinematico: is open source UI framework for automatic website solutions. It does not require any database.
- Pictura: logically segregate codes and run smoothly. It helps a programmer to avoid complexities.
- Rollblader: is a set of inspirational display and for typography effects.
- Icon Maker: is an open platform for creating icons for free.
- Delorean: uses Perl for web applications. Language for irregular data structures and optimized underneath with C.
Each day new tools are being introduced and proving an asset to the web and android development. These plugins, platforms, forums, and packages adding up more to innovation. Developers are very keen towards every trending and emerging technology. We have fully tried to involve the most important tools (not all) for web development that will surely be very helpful. To give your kind opinion or suggestion comment below without hesitation or you can contact us at 832-777-4774. We’ll be very happy to hear from you.Contact Us