Key Considerations for Building Successful Apps like Pinterest
Social media networks have become integral to modern lives, allowing us to communicate, engage, share information, and provide entertainment. Whether it’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or YouTube, social media networks overwhelmingly influence our lives. Then there is Pinterest, a social media platform that inspires users and allows them to discover and save ideas about hobbies – from home décor and fashion to travel and wildlife.
Users can save and organize their preferred images and videos onto virtual ”pins.” Thanks to its cutting-edge Machine Learning algorithms that sort and present content in sync with a user’s preferences and history. Since its inception, Pinterest has received several awards and boasts over 443 million active users. It is often considered a critical element of the product discovery journey for customers of several brands.
Therefore, it makes sense for businesses to invest and develop an app like Pinterest to earn lucrative revenues. The article will discuss and shed light on the key steps essential for developing apps like Pinterest.
Features of Apps like Pinterest
The following are some of the features typically found in apps like Pinterest.
1. Login/Account Registration: It is a critical feature in apps. Users can create accounts and log in using their email or social media IDs.
2. Feed: Pinterest feed is displayed in blocks, comprising images and videos. Powered by AI technology, the feed gets automatically updated according to the interests and preferences of the user.
3. Boards: Boards allow users to systemize their content around a specific theme or topic. Users can create boards to organize content around a particular theme or topic. These boards can either be public or private.
4. Pins: A pin can be classified as content such as an image, video, or weblink. Users can save pins to their boards and add descriptions or comments to share their views.
5. Search: Users can search for content on the platform using keywords or hashtags. The app may also suggest related content based on what the user has previously searched for or saved.
6. Following: Users can follow other users or specific boards to see their content in their feeds, and it can help users discover new content that aligns with their interests.
7. Notifications: Apps like Pinterest also have notification features. These are alerts that users receive from Pinterest that keep them informed about the boards and new updates.
8. Repinning: Users can ”repin” content from other users’ boards to their boards. It allows users to share appealing and inspiring content with their followers.
9. Likes and Comments: The app lets users leave likes and comments on pins. It can lead to constructive conversations and nurture a community of like-minded individuals.
10. Recommendations: The app displays recommendations to users based on their activity, and it helps users discover new content suitable to their interests.‘Turn ideas into reality: Check our social network development services .
Why is Pinterest so Popular?
Pinterest is exceedingly popular! Here are the main reasons behind the popularity of Pinterest. Businesses can assess these benefits, which can help them to make quality apps like Pinterest.
Pinterest is an incredible source to discover and draw inspiration from millions of images and videos. Hobbyists, DIY enthusiasts, and creative professionals can seek Pinterest to create boards comprising their preferred content.
2. Visual Organization
Pinterest boards allow users to curate data according to their ideas, interests, and objectives. Users can organize data for various categories, such as fashion, art, travel, food, wildlife, and many more.
3. Traffic Generation
Pinterest is an excellent tool for traffic generation to online businesses and blogs. Pins linked to e-commerce stores, blogs, and websites can drive traffic to them, boosting online traffic.
Pinterest also allows users to engage with others on boards, making it an excellent tool for collaborative activities.
The innovative algorithms on Pinterest organize and personalize content for users based on their interests, activities, and preferences – showing users the content they want to see.
Pinterest has a massive number of users from all corners of the globe. It makes sharing new and novel ideas easy, allowing other users to discover them.
7. Brand Awareness
Businesses can foster brand awareness and attract newer audiences through promoted pins and sponsored content.
Costs of Apps like Pinterest
Several factors must be considered when ascertaining the cost of a Pinterest-like app. They usually include the complexity of the app, the features you want your app to have, the number of resources required, platform choice, and the location of the development team. A basic app like Pinterest could cost anywhere from $20,000 to $50,000, while a more sophisticated app with advanced features and custom design could cost upwards of $100,000 or more. This cost estimate includes design, development, testing, deployment, and ongoing maintenance and updates.
Technology Stack for Apps like Pinterest
To create a Pinterest-like app, you require a wide range of technologies. The following is the general technology stack you need to develop a Pinterest-like app.
1. Frontend Frameworks: React, Vue.js, or Angular for building the client-side interface of your app.
2. Backend Frameworks: Node.js or Ruby on Rails for building the server side of your app.
3. Database: MySQL, MongoDB, or PostgreSQL for storing user and image data.
4. Cloud Storage: Amazon S3, Google Cloud Storage, or Azure Storage for storing images uploaded by users.
5. Caching: Redis or Memcached for caching frequently accessed data.
6. API: RESTful API for connecting the front and back end.
7. Search Engine: Elasticsearch or Solr for implementing search functionality.
8. Messaging System: RabbitMQ or Apache Kafka for handling notifications and messages.
9. CDN: Content Delivery Networks like Cloudflare for serving static assets quickly and efficiently.
10. Payment Gateway: Stripe or PayPal for handling payments.
Development Process for Apps like Pinterest
Identify the target audience and highlight the app’s goal. In this first step, you need to determine your target audience and the pursuit of your app. You should identify who will be the target audience of your app and what is the purpose of your app. Does your app want to provide an enhanced Pinterest-like experience, or does it want to solve an issue?
1. Market Research
Market research is essential before creating apps like Pinterest for Android and iOS. It will help to comprehend the competition and determine critical trends in the industry. Accordingly, you will get an idea about the availability of similar apps in the market and will gain an understanding of the features and consumer reviews.
2. Wireframe Development
A wireframe is a visual framework of your app’s layout and features, and it will assist the team in planning the app’s flow and structure.
3. Design Prototype
After creating a wireframe, the development team will create a design prototype demonstrating how your app will look and feel.
4. Tech Stack
The development team will choose the most suitable technology stack that best fits your app’s development requirements, such as the backend and frontend languages, databases, and hosting solutions.
5. Develop the MVP
In this stage, the team will build a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) that includes the app’s core features. It will enable the team to test the app’s functionality.
6. Quality Assurance
At this point, your app is rigorously tested by the development team to ensure that it works as expected, removing any issues or errors that arise during the testing phase.
Once the app is stable and error-free, it can launch on stores like Google Play and the Apple Store.
Monetization Strategies for Apps like Pinterest
You can use the following key strategies to monetize apps like Pinterest.
Advertising is one of the most common ways that can be used to monetize a Pinterest-like app. You can incorporate native advertising. Native ads look organic and smoothly integrate with the user experience, ensuring seamless integration with native ads without upsetting the user experience. Secondly, you can also use display advertising, including banner or pop-up ads. However, these ads can be bothersome and disrupt a smooth user experience.
2. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is another excellent way to monetize your Pinterest-like app. It would be best to begin by identifying your niche, researching relevant affiliate programs, and signing up for them. When choosing affiliate programs, make sure to promote products or services that are relevant to your users.
3. Subscription Model
To adopt a subscription model, you should determine the content you want to offer, allocate a price, and promote your subscription model. You must provide exclusive content and services to your subscribers who are not available elsewhere.Leverage our cutting-edge add development capabilities to develop top-performing apps like Pinterest. Talk to an expert.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do you make an app like Pinterest?
To create a Pinterest-like app, you must begin by conducting market research, identifying your target audience, and highlighting the goal of your app. Additionally, you must hire an expert team of developers, designers, and project managers to help you develop a Pinterest-like app.
Is a Pinterest-like app financially beneficial?
A Pinterest-like app can be lucrative through monetization strategies. Pinterest earns a considerable portion of its revenue from advertisements. Similarly, your Pinterest-like app can also earn income through advertising.
Is selling on Pinterest profitable for businesses?
With over 475 million users, selling on Pinterest can be profitable. Businesses that benefit the most from Pinterest sell visually attractive products, home décor, cosmetics, or apparel.
How much time is needed to develop a Pinterest-like app?
Generally, it can take several months to a year or more to develop an app like Pinterest. The time for completion can take a few weeks or months, depending on the scope and complexity of the project and the team’s efficiency.
How do you make passive income from apps like Pinterest?
Making passive income from an app like Pinterest can be possible by implementing monetization strategies that allow you to generate revenue with minimal effort. These monetization strategies include advertising, affiliate marketing, premium subscriptions, and in-app purchases.
Gohar is a seasoned IT writer specializing in leading technologies. He holds a Diploma and Bachelor's degree from the University of London, with professional experience spanning over five years in the IT sector. His expertise involves a keen focus on mobile applications, web apps, blockchain, content management systems, e-commerce, and fintech. Beyond the professional field, Gohar is an avid reader and reads extensively about emerging and innovative technologies.